Intact or not red blood cells secondary to bleeding in the urinary tract
Urinary tract infections are a common cause
In older individuals, malignancy must be ruled out
Clinical evidence for a neoplastic disease
History of renal trauma
History of blood transfusion
History of burns
Cause for renal infarction
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For hemoglobinuria with urinary tract infection, complete blood count with white blood cell differential is useful. If hemoglobinuria might be explained by hemolytic anemia, a work-up for hemolysis, including a serum haptoglobin level, bilirubin, and lactate dehydrogenase, can be useful. Incompatibility of transfusion products with hemolysis is important to consider.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Reducing Hypoglycemia in T1D and T2D: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- Insulin Therapy Initiation in T2D Associated With Sedentary Behavior, Weight Increases
- Early, Middle Adulthood Weight Gain Linked to Increased Chronic Disease Risk
- Diabetes Risk Lowered With Regular Alcohol Consumption
- BMD of Femoral Neck Declines Twice as Fast in HIV-Infected Women
- Efficacy of Biomarker Screening Pathway in Monogenic Diabetes Diagnosis
- Heart Failure in Type 2 Diabetes: Improving the Risk Model
- Two-Hour Postload Glucose Test as Predictor of Cardiovascular Events
- HbA1c, Fasting Plasma Glucose Predictive of Alzheimer's in T2D
- Management of Hypoglycemia: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- BMD Loss Slowed With Delayed Antiretroviral Therapy in HIV
- USPSTF: Lifestyle Counseling Can Protect CV Health in Low-Risk Adults
- Improved Aspirin Responsiveness in Obesity With Bariatric Surgery
- Primary Plus Specialist Care in Diabetes with Compensated Cirrhosis: Is There A Benefit?
- Mild Cases of Cushing's Syndrome Present Diagnostic Challenges