Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Admelog Short-Acting Insulin Lispro Injection
- Fertility Hormone Therapy and Cardiovascular Outcomes: What We Know
- Effects of Peer Influence in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes
- More Evidence That Saxagliptin Does Not Increase Risk for AMI in Diabetes
- One-Hour Glucose Readings Predict T2D Risk Better Than 2-Hour Measurements
- FDA: Vitamin B7 May Interfere With Lab Tests for Hormone Levels
- Injected and Oral Medications Equally Safe for Gestational Diabetes
- Adjunctive Dapagliflozin Improves Glycemic Control in T1D
- Estradiol Therapy May Benefit Overall Cognition in Postmenopausal Women
- Stopping Postmenopausal HT May Increase Risk for Cardiac, Stroke Death
- Psychosocial Benefits of a Bihormonal Bionic Pancreas System in T1D
- Safety of Chronic Total Occlusion Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Diabetes
- Oral Insulin Not a Reliable Preventive Strategy for Type 1 Diabetes
- Prevention of Bone Mineral Density Loss Needed in Epilepsy
- Gastric Bypass Blunts B-Cell Sensitivity During Glycemia