Elevated Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
Pt with true polycythemia with an increased red blood cell (RBC) mass.
Pt with a relative polycythemia and a normal RBC mass as a result of dehydration or another state producing a low plasma volume.
Polycythemia in which the RBC mass is high enough to impair blood flow.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Polycythemia vera, also known as primary polycythemia, is not secondary to any disorder.
Polycythemia from an underlying disorder (secondary polycythemia) is much more common than primary polycythemia.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum erythropoietin level is low in primary polycythemia, unlike secondary polycythemia, so the erythropoietin (EPO) level can be useful in separating primary and secondary polycythemia.
Strict criteria are required for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera: (A1 plus A2 plus any other A) or (A1 plus A2 plus any 2B) criteria:
Increased RBC mass by hemoglobin, hematocrit, or RBC number (A1)
Erythrocytosis is not secondary to another cause (A2)
Clonal cytogenetic abnormality other than the Philadelphia chromosome (A4)
Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro (A5)
Platelet count greater than 400,000/µL (B1)
WBC count greater than 12,000/µL (B2)
Panmyelosis on bone marrow biopsy (B3)
Low serum EPO (B4)
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to determine if polycythemia vera is in a hypercellular phase with greater than 60% cellularity or in a hypocellular bone marrow with markedly increased reticulin fibers.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Reducing Hypoglycemia in T1D and T2D: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- Insulin Therapy Initiation in T2D Associated With Sedentary Behavior, Weight Increases
- Early, Middle Adulthood Weight Gain Linked to Increased Chronic Disease Risk
- Diabetes Risk Lowered With Regular Alcohol Consumption
- BMD of Femoral Neck Declines Twice as Fast in HIV-Infected Women
- Efficacy of Biomarker Screening Pathway in Monogenic Diabetes Diagnosis
- Heart Failure in Type 2 Diabetes: Improving the Risk Model
- Two-Hour Postload Glucose Test as Predictor of Cardiovascular Events
- HbA1c, Fasting Plasma Glucose Predictive of Alzheimer's in T2D
- Management of Hypoglycemia: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- BMD Loss Slowed With Delayed Antiretroviral Therapy in HIV
- USPSTF: Lifestyle Counseling Can Protect CV Health in Low-Risk Adults
- Improved Aspirin Responsiveness in Obesity With Bariatric Surgery
- Primary Plus Specialist Care in Diabetes with Compensated Cirrhosis: Is There A Benefit?
- Mild Cases of Cushing's Syndrome Present Diagnostic Challenges