BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D