BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Intensive Blood Pressure Therapy Lowers Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- RET Inhibitor Gets Breakthrough Treatment Status for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Physical Activity as a Lifestyle Factor Influencing Early Menopause
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Oral Contraceptives Associated With Ventricular Repolarization Alterations