Generic Name and Formulations:
Desogestrel 0.15 mg, ethinyl estradiol 20mcg (21 tabs); inert (2 tabs); ethinyl estradiol 10mcg (5 tabs).
Indications for KARIVA:
Take in correct sequence at same time each day; max 24 hours between doses. 1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebral vascular or coronary artery disease. Breast or other estrogen-dependent neoplasms. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Smokers over 35 years of age: not recommended. Uncontrolled hypertension. Hypertriglyceridemia. Discontinue if jaundice, visual disturbances, migraine or other severe headaches occur. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see literature). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Progestin + estrogen.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity