Generic Name and Formulations:
Apraclonidine (as HCl) 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for IOPIDINE:
Short-term adjunctive therapy to reduce elevated IOP.
Remove contact lenses; may reinsert 15min after instillation. 1–2 drops 3 times daily. Allow at least 5min between instillation of other oph drugs.
Clonidine allergy. Concomitant MAOIs.
Monitor visual fields. Severe uncontrolled cardiovascular disease, hypertension, coronary insufficiency. Recent myocardial infarction. Cerebrovascular disease. Raynaud's syndrome. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Discontinue if ocular allergic-like reactions occur. Renal or hepatic impairment: closely monitor cardiovascular parameters. Depression. Masks hypoglycemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. May potentiate CNS depressants, alcohol. May be antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Additive hypotensive effects with neuroleptics; hypotensive and pulse effects with β-blockers, antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, others (eg, clonidine).
Hyperemia, pruritus, dry mouth, itching, discomfort, tearing, dizziness, solmnolence, lid edema, blurred vision, foreign body sensation, dry eye, conjunctivitis, discharge, blanching, headache, asthenia, dry nose, taste perversion; tachyphylaxis may develop after 1 month.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation