Generic Name and Formulations:
Mecasermin 10mg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for INCRELEX:
Growth failure in children with severe primary IGF-1 deficiency (Primary IGFD) or in those with growth hormone (GH) gene deletion who have developed neutralizing antibodies to GH.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute to GH for approved GH indications.
Closed epiphyses: not recommended.
Administer before or after (+/–20 minutes) a meal/snack; rotate inj sites. <2yrs: not established. ≥2yrs: initially 0.04 to 0.08mg/kg SC twice daily; may increase after 1 week by 0.04mg/kg per dose; max 0.12mg/kg twice daily.
Growth promotion in patients with closed epiphyses. Active or suspected neoplasia. IV administration.
Not for secondary forms of IGF-1 deficiency. Correct thyroid and nutritional deficiences before treatment. Measure preprandial glucose level before treatment and monitor until a tolerated dose is established. Reduce dose if hypoglycemia occurs despite adequate food intake with therapy. Monitor for lymphoid tissue hypertrophy complications. Do funduscopic exam for intracranial hypertension at the start of therapy, then periodically. Evaluate any child with onset of limp or hip/knee pain for possible slipped capital femoral epiphysis. Monitor for progression of scoliosis. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-1 (rhIGF-1).
Hypoglycemia, local/systemic hypersensitivity (including anaphylaxis), lymphoid tissue hypertrophy (eg, tonsillar and adenoidal hypertrophy); intracranial hypertension.
Multidose vial (40mg/vial)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D