Researchers examined the safety and efficacy of daily vs weekly levothyroxine therapy for hypothyroidism in young and middle aged adults.
Miscarriage risk before 20 weeks of gestation is higher among women with untreated subclinical hypothyroidism.
Researchers noted a significant increase in serum vitamin D and significant reductions in TSH following 3 months of vitamin D supplementation.
Physicians need to be aware of silent thyroiditis as a rare but serious side effect of lithium therapy.
Cognitive function was affected even in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism.
Elemental calcium — found in cow's milk — significantly limits a person's ability to absorb oral levothyroxine.
Tirosint-SOL (levothyroxine sodium oral solution) should be available within the next 6 months.
Updated guidelines include thyroid function testing, iodine nutrition, pregnancy complications, and treatment of thyroid disease during pregnancy and lactation.
Women with subclinical hypothyroidism who undergo thyroid hormone treatment have a decreased risk of pregnancy loss, but may experience other pregnancy-related adverse outcomes.
Early detection and quick treatment with levothyroxine are essential in treating children with congenital hypothyroidism.
Subclinicial hypothyroidism has been associated with an increased risk for coronary heart disease events and mortality.
Half of the infants in the study had a delayed diagnosis of congenital hypothyroidism.
Women with higher-than-normal thyrotropin concentrations during pregnancy may be more likely to experience premature delivery.
Lower thyroid function was associated with a 1.24-fold higher risk for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Physicians present viewpoints for and against treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism in a 60-year-old patient.
The risk was greater even for people with low-normal thyroid function.
The large study linking Agent Orange with adverse effects includes US veterans of the Korean War who also served in the Vietnam War.
Women with hyperthyroidism have increased breast cancer risk, while hypothyroidism is associated with decreased risk.
In the elderly, subclinical hypothyroidism is not associated with significantly increased risk for recurrent venous thromboembolism.
Thyroid function improved after the researchers placed the child on levothyroxine and supplemented his diet with iodized salt and a multivitamin containing iodine.
Results from the HUNT Study in Norway found an association between autoimmune diabetes and thyroid dysfunction.
Patients had reduced left middle hippocampus and right anterior hippocampus activity when judging word pairs.
No increased risk for patients with hypothyroidism treated with thyroid hormone replacement therapy.
Obese women who undergo thyroidectomy may require a higher dose of levothyroxine than nonobese women.
Thyrotropin levels within the reference range do not appear to be linked to risk for CHD events and CHD mortality.
Maternal hormone levels during pregnancy may have adverse effects on the infant's IQ later in childhood.
British study finds an association, but unable to prove cause-and-effect.
Thyroid disease, including hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, may be linked to fertility problems and miscarriages in women.
Adequate iodine nutrition is essential for production of thyroid hormones, but many patients harbor misperceptions about iodine intake.
A number of factors contribute to the need for higher-than-expected levothyroxine dosing requirements in patients with hypothyroidism.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Osteoporosis Treatment Approaches in Women vs Men
- Fewer Menstrual Cycles May Lead to Increased Risk for Heart Failure
- Frequent Hot Flashes Worsened Endothelial Function in Younger Midlife Women
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 5/26/17
- Collaborative Care With Pharmacist Benefits Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
- Liraglutide Plus Metformin Leads to Remission in New-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Early Insulin Therapy Improves Type 2 Diabetes Care
- Comorbid Congestive Heart Failure Linked to Worse Outcomes When Receiving Parenteral Nutrition
- FDA Adds Boxed Warning to Canagliflozin Due To Increased Leg and Foot Amputation Risk
- Brain Function Abnormalities With Overweight/Obesity in Type 2 Diabetes
- Long-Term Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use Linked to Myocardial Dysfunction and Atherosclerosis
- Dual Experiences in Endometriosis Health Care
- Normal Meal Tolerance Test Effective As Insulin Secretion Test in T2D
- USPSTF: Updated Preeclampsia Screening Recommendations
- Oral Contraceptives May Reduce Fracture Risk