Researchers examined the safety and efficacy of daily vs weekly levothyroxine therapy for hypothyroidism in young and middle aged adults.
Miscarriage risk before 20 weeks of gestation is higher among women with untreated subclinical hypothyroidism.
Researchers noted a significant increase in serum vitamin D and significant reductions in TSH following 3 months of vitamin D supplementation.
Physicians need to be aware of silent thyroiditis as a rare but serious side effect of lithium therapy.
Cognitive function was affected even in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism.
Elemental calcium — found in cow's milk — significantly limits a person's ability to absorb oral levothyroxine.
Tirosint-SOL (levothyroxine sodium oral solution) should be available within the next 6 months.
Women with subclinical hypothyroidism who undergo thyroid hormone treatment have a decreased risk of pregnancy loss, but may experience other pregnancy-related adverse outcomes.
Early detection and quick treatment with levothyroxine are essential in treating children with congenital hypothyroidism.
Half of the infants in the study had a delayed diagnosis of congenital hypothyroidism.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Should Be Individualized Based on Eye Health, Glycated Hemoglobin
- USPSTF: No Thyroid Cancer Screening in Asymptomatic Adults
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 5/19/17
- Efficacy of Daily vs Weekly Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism
- Fewer Menstrual Cycles May Lead to Increased Risk for Heart Failure
- Liraglutide Plus Metformin Leads to Remission in New-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Comorbid Congestive Heart Failure Linked to Worse Outcomes When Receiving Parenteral Nutrition
- Early Insulin Therapy Improves Type 2 Diabetes Care
- Gestational Diabetes Risk May Be Reduced With Probiotics
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy May Protect Against Stroke, Heart Attack in Hypogonadism
- Frequent Hot Flashes Worsened Endothelial Function in Younger Midlife Women
- Increased Lifetime Risk of Depression In Children With Obesity
- Collaborative Care With Pharmacist Benefits Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
- CDC: Successful Start to National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Does Aerobic-Resistance Exercise Benefit Seniors With Obesity?