After parathyroidectomy, morbidity and mortality rates were considerably higher in patients with secondary and tertiary vs primary hyperparathyroidism.
Data were collected from the Nurses' Health Study I to examine the relationship between BMI and primary hyperparathyroidism risk.
The drug's approval was based on 2 successful phase 3 trials.
Etelcalcetide shows promise for reducing parathyroid hormone in hemodialysis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism.
Study reveals 6-fold higher risk of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients on furosemide vs hydrochlorothiazide.
Quality-of-life scores improved significantly after successful parathyroidectomy.
Reduced fracture risk for surgery; bisphosphonate treatment no better than observation
Recent data showed that parathyroidectomy is more effective for controlling hypercalcemia after kidney transplants in patients with persistent hyperparathyroidism.
The correlation persists regardless of concurrent oral bisphosphonate administration.
More patients with abnormal bone mineral density should undergo screening for primary hyperparathyroidism.
AMG 416 demonstrated positive results for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney disease.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Predictors of Success for Insulin-to-Liraglutide Switch for Type 2 Diabetes
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Pre-Pregnancy Programs May Improve Outcomes in Women With Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- IV Fluid Infusion Rates Do Not Affect Pediatric DKA Neurologic Outcomes
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Psychiatric Morbidity Decreased After Assisted Reproductive Technology Treatment
- Fenofibrate Improves Cholesterol Levels in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk