Data from 14 phase 2 and 3 studies were pooled to assess the safety of lowering LDL cholesterol with alirocumab.
For patients with primary hypercholesterolemia, fixed-dose combination of ezetimibe plus rosuvastatin is more effective than rosuvastatin alone.
For patients with familial hypercholesterolemia or atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, PCSK9 inhibitor use is not cost-effective.
Evolocumab will now be available via the Pushtronex system™, designed to deliver 420 mg in a single dose.
Patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia have a significantly increased risk for coronary heart disease and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
Researchers found that roughly 834 500 Americans have the inherited condition.
Higher numbers of insured leading to more treatment of hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes.
The FDA has approved the first PCSK9 inhibitor to treat certain adults with high cholesterol.
An FDA advisory committee has recommended approval of alirocumab (Praluent, Regeneron) for treatment of hypercholesterolemia.
The PCSK9 inhibitor evolocumab appears to be safe and effective for reducing LDL cholesterol in older patients.
Review shows no changes for rheumatoid arthritis patients with tumor necrosis factor antagonist treatment.
Two studies show that PCSK9 inhibition lowered LDL cholesterol in heterozygous and homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
Long-term statin use among children with familial hypercholesterolemia is associated with normalization of carotid intima-media thickness progression.
Sanofi and Regeneron announced positive results from four phase 3 ODYSSEY trials of alirocumab in patients with hypercholesterolemia.
Amgen announced that it has submitted a Biologics License Application (BLA) to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for evolocumab for the treatment of high cholesterol.
Cutting traditional risk factors could eliminate significant amount of cardiovascular disease
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Bariatric Surgery: An Effective Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation