Rates of cBHT prescriptions are not yet being systemically tracked, and few data exist to demonstrate the safety, efficacy, or utility of the treatment.
Lifestyle modification and an individualized treatment approach are effective strategies for managing menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors who are largely advised to avoid hormone replacement therapy.
The newly released guidelines include updated language to reflect DSM-V changes, greater flexibility in treatment, and recommendations for CVD, bone health, and prostate cancer screening.
The effect of 1 year of cross-sex hormone therapy on bone mineral density was examined in transgender men and women.
Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease through risk factor modification, including tobacco cessation, maintenance of a body mass index, and management of abnormal lipid levels, diabetes, and hypertension, is of great importance for the health of transgender individuals.
HRT in postmenopausal women was linked to lower CAC scores and a lower risk of long-term, all-cause mortality.
In postmenopausal women taking hormone therapy, risk for death from vascular dementia appeared to be reduced.
Starting testosterone treatment is associated with an increased risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE), peaking within 6 months and declining thereafter.
Men treated with implantable testosterone pellets have a statistically significant increase in mean hematocrit, but it is unlikely to be clinically relevant.
The use of menopausal hormone therapy was associated with improved bone mineral density and better bone microarchitecture.
Use of estrogen-containing contraceptives were linked to significantly higher vitamin D levels.
Hormone Replacement Therapy vs Combination Oral Contraceptive for Bone Health in Premature Ovarian FailureJuly 08, 2016
In women with premature ovarian failure, hormone replacement therapy was associated with greater increases in bone mineral density.
In light of ELITE trial results, estradiol hormone therapy may have a role in coronary heart disease treatment.
Men using testosterone gel experienced improvements in sex drive, sexual activity, and erectile function.
Researchers hypothesized that an altered balance of sex hormones in men with gender identity disorder would increase the risk of MS.
Verbal memory and cognitive flexibility improved after 6 months of estrogen replacement therapy.
Findings in healthy females who received progesterone or placebo for 7 days.
Clinicians should consider the benefits and risks of hormone therapy when treating this patient population.
Use of vaginal estrogen should be carefully considered by women with a history of estrogen-dependent breast cancer, according to a Committee Opinion published in Obstetrics & Gynecology.
More than 20% of women currently using hormone replacement therapy experienced an increase in migraine severity.
Sexual function and mood and depressive symptoms were improved in older men who received testosterone therapy.
Patients treated with adjuvant endocrine therapy for primary breast cancer have considerable symptom burden.
An individualized approach based on patient preferences is important for treatment of menopause.
Surgical and hormone expenses are less than those that treat complications of not transitioning.
Progesterone therapy during the first trimester did not increase live birth rates in women with recurrent miscarriages.
SNPs within the innate immunity pathway altered the treatment effect on four-year change in CIMT
An increased risk was seen with late age at natural menopause and with any use of menopausal hormone therapy.
Initiating hormone therapy earlier in menopause may lower risk for later development of coronary heart disease.
One-third of women taking hormone therapy at menopause are using compounded hormones.
The first study in the United States to investigate the long-term outcomes of medical treatment for transgender youth is set to begin in the near future.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Improving Vascular Function in Pediatric T1D With Metformin
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation