Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 68.5mg, 137mg; ext-rel caps.
Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
RECENT UPDATESMonograph added.
Indications for GOCOVRI:
Treatment of dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease patients receiving levodopa-based therapy, with or without concomitant dopaminergic medications.
Swallow whole. May open caps and sprinkle contents on a teaspoonful of soft food (eg, applesauce) if needed. Initially 137mg once daily at bedtime; increase to 274mg once daily at bedtime after 1 week. Renal impairment (CrCl 30–59mL/min/1.73m2): initially 68.5mg once daily; increase to max 137mg once daily after 1 week; (CrCl 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 68.5mg once daily.
End-stage renal disease (CrCl <15mL/min/1.73m2).
Sleep disorders. Discontinue if daytime sleepiness or episodes of falling asleep during activities that require full attention develops. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation or behavior. Psychotic disorders. Monitor for hallucinations, dizziness, orthostatic hypotension (esp. at initiation and after dose increases). Monitor for new or increased urges or compulsive behaviors; consider reducing dose or discontinuing if develops. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor conditions (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTIs) that can alter the urine pH (acidic or alkaline). Renal impairment. Elderly: monitor renal function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant alcohol, live attenuated vaccines: not recommended. Increased somnolence with concomitant sedatives. Potentiated by anticholinergics; reduce dose. Concomitant drugs affecting urinary pH (eg, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate); monitor.
Hallucination, dizziness, dry mouth, peripheral edema, constipation, falls, orthostatic hypotension; drowsiness, suicidality, depression, withdrawal-emergent hyperpyrexia/confusion, impulse control/compulsive behavior.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D