Generic Name and Formulations:
Frovatriptan (as succinate) 2.5mg; tabs.
Indications for FROVA:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 2.5mg with fluids; may repeat once after 2 hours; max 7.5mg/24 hours. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic cardiac, cerebro- or peripheral vascular disease (eg, history of MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia, stroke, TIA, ischemic bowel disease). Uncontrolled hypertension. Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome or arrhythmias associated with other cardiac conduction pathway disorders. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia after other 5-HT1 agonists. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline).
Dizziness, paresthesia, dry mouth, fatigue, flushing, hot or cold sensation, dyspepsia, skeletal pain, chest/throat/neck symptoms (pain, pressure, tightness); serious cardiac events (rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Fasting Glycemic Variability Indicates Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Heritability of BMI Stronger in Obesogenic Environments
- Adverse Events Associated With Diazoxide Treatment for Congenital Hyperinsulinism
- Maternal Gluten Intake Associated With Risk for Type 1 Diabetes in Offspring
- Domestic Refrigeration May Pose Underestimated Risk for Insulin Quality
- Vitamin D Supplementation Has No Effect on Musculoskeletal Health
- Deep Learning Algorithm Efficiently Detects Vision-Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy
- Industry-Funded Trials Often Involve Employees in Studies
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Early-Onset Asthma/Wheezing Associated With Later Childhood Obesity