FOLLISTIM AQ Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Follitropin beta (recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone) 75 IU, 150 IU; per vial; soln for SC or IM inj.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for FOLLISTIM AQ:
Stimulation of multiple follicles in ovulatory patients undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART). Induction of ovulation in patients with functional anovulatory infertility that is not due to ovarian failure.
Individualize. ART: initially 150–225 IU daily in the early follicular phase (at least first 4 days), then adjust based on response; max 600 IU. Ovulation induction: initially 75 IU daily for up to 14 days; then adjust weekly by 37.5 IU based on response; max 300 IU. Both: induce final maturation of follicles or ovulation with 5000–10000 IU of hCG (see Precautions).
Ovarian failure. Uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal disease. Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding. Ovarian cysts or enlargement. Tumor of pituitary, breast, ovary, or uterus. Streptomycin or neomycin allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Do complete gynecological and endocrinological exam first. Thromboembolic disorders. Do not give hCG if high estrogen levels or excessive numbers of ovarian follicles by ultrasound indicate a high risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
OHSS with pulmonary and vascular complications, ovarian enlargement or cysts, abdominal pain (discontinue if occurs), local reactions, risk of high order multiple births.
Vials (0.5mL)—1; Cartridge (w. needles)—1; Follistim Pen (w. needles)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Triple-Goal Achievement Reduces Risk for Complications in Type 2 Diabetes
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- ADA Issues White Paper Addressing Escalating Cost of Insulin
- Neprilysin Inhibition May Reduce Renal Function Deterioration in Comorbid T2D and Chronic Heart Failure
- Serum Chemerin May Predict Risk for Spontaneous Abortion in Women With PCOS
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Effects of Gender on Clinical Outcomes in Empagliflozin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents, Young Adults With ADHD
- Ideal Systolic Blood Pressure for CVD Prevention in Diabetes, Hypertension
- Smoking Associated With Lower Serum Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone Levels
- Inverse Link for Plasma 25(OH)D Concentration, Risk of T2D