FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, live attenuated influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp in intranasal sprayer; contains gelatin, arginine, gentamicin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs or ≥50yrs: not recommended. Give before start of flu season; each dose is 0.2mL intranasally (as 0.1mL/nostril). 2–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses/season (depends on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses, give at least 1 month apart. 9–49yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine. Life-threatening reaction to previous flu vaccine. Concomitant aspirin in patients 2–17yrs of age (Reye's syndrome).
Use current formulation only. Asthmatics or children <5yrs old with recurrent wheezing: may be at increased risk of wheezing following administration. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Underlying medical conditions predisposing to flu complications. Immunocompromised. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Do not administer until 48hrs after antiviral therapy cessation. Do not give antivirals within 2 weeks of administration.
Rhinorrhea/nasal congestion, fever, sore throat, decreased appetite, irritability; wheezing.
Single-dose pre-filled nasal spray (0.2mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Prescription Delivery Service Nationwide
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes