Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd; for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EVOMELA:
High-dose conditioning treatment prior to hematopoietic progenitor (stem) cell transplantation in patients with multiple myeloma. Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give prophylactic antiemetics. Conditioning treatment: Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 100mg/m2 daily for 2 consecutive days (Days -3 and -2) prior to transplantation (Day 0). If patient weighs >130% of their ideal body weight, use adjusted ideal body weight. Palliative treatment: Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 as a single infusion at 2-week intervals for 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals after recovery from toxicity. Renal impairment (BUN ≥30mg/dL): consider up to 50% dose reduction for palliative treatment.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Severe bone marrow suppression. Monitor CBCs during treatment; provide supportive care for infections, anemia, thrombocytopenia until adequate recovery. GI toxicity; provide supportive care. Monitor LFTs. Renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; use effective contraception during and after treatment. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with cyclosporine, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Decreased neutrophil, WBC, lymphocyte, and platelet counts, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, hypokalemia, anemia, vomiting; hypersensitivity reactions, hepatic disorders, secondary malignancies, infertility.
Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Plasma Methylglyoxal Levels Associated With CVD, Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- AMA: Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices
- Diabetes Medication Reconciliation May Reduce Risk of ED Visits