Generic Name and Formulations:
Estazolam 1mg, 2mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Estazolam:
Short-term treatment of insomnia.
Initially 1mg at bedtime. May increase to 2mg nightly. Small or debilitated elderly: initially 0.5mg.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concomitant ketoconazole, itraconazole. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Drug or alcohol abuse. Suicidal tendencies. Depression. Renal, hepatic, or respiratory impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation after prolonged use. Elderly. Debilitated. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with CYP3A inhibitors (eg, nefazodone, fluvoxamine, cimetidine, diltiazem, isoniazid, other macrolides): consider dose reduction.
CNS depression, complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), hypokinesia, dizziness, incoordination, confusion, constipation, anxiety, paradoxical excitement; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
Formerly known under the brand name Prosom.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation