Generic Name and Formulations:
Estramustine phosphate sodium (prodrug of estradiol) 140mg; caps.
Indications for EMCYT:
Palliative of metastatic, progressive prostate cancer.
Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. 14mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses; reevaluate after 30 to 90 days. Continue as long as favorable response maintained.
Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (except when tumor mass caused by thromboembolic phenomenon). Allergy to estradiol, nitrogen mustard.
History of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders. Cerebro- or cardiovascular disease. Diabetes. Hypertension. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor bilirubin and hepatic enzymes during and for 2 months after treatment is discontinued. Metabolic bone diseases associated with hypercalcemia. Use effective contraception.
Absorption impaired by calcium.
Edema, dyspnea, leg cramps; nausea, diarrhea, GI upset; pruritus, dry skin, easy bruising; breast tenderness and enlargement; lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia; leucopenia; abnormal bilirubin, LDH, SGOT. Thrombosis, MI.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D