Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg, 22.5mg, 30mg, 45mg; per inj; ext-rel susp for SC inj.
Indications for ELIGARD:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Allow product to reach room temperature before using; inject within 30 minutes of mixing. Use correct formulation. Rotate inj sites. 7.5mg SC once per month; or 22.5mg SC once every 3 months; or 30mg SC once every 4 months; or 45mg SC once every 6 months.
May worsen metastatic vertebral lesions and/or urinary tract obstruction; monitor closely during first few weeks. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose, HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of QT prolongation in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, or frequent electrolyte abnormalities. Correct and monitor electrolyte abnormalities; consider monitoring ECGs. Monitor serum testosterone, PSA periodically. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May interfere with pituitary-gonadal diagnostic tests.
Malaise, fatigue, hot flashes/sweats, testicular atrophy, local reactions (eg, burning/stinging, pain, erythema, bruising, pruritus); transient worsening of signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria, bladder outlet obstruction), spinal cord compression, hyperglycemia, decreased bone density; rare: pituitary apoplexy.
Single-use kit—1 (with sterile or sterile safety needle)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D