Generic Name and Formulations:
Selegiline HCl 5mg; caps.
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for ELDEPRYL:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in Parkinsonism.
5mg at breakfast and at lunch; max 10mg/day. After 2–3 days, levodopa/ carbidopa dosage may be reduced by 10–30%; further reductions may be possible later.
Concomitant meperidine, other opioids (See Interactions).
Selectivity for MAO type B diminishes at doses over 10mg/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Contraindicated with meperidine, possibly other opioids (hyperpyretic crisis). Avoid concomitant tricyclic antidepressants or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Allow at least 5 weeks (or more if used chronically or at high doses) between fluoxetine discontinuance and 2 weeks between paroxetine or sertraline discontinuance before starting selegiline; allow 2 weeks between selegiline discontinuance before starting tricyclic antidepressants or SSRIs. Caution with tyramine-containing foods and with sympathomimetics.
Nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, syncope, abdominal pain, confusion, vivid dreams, hallucinations, dry mouth, headache.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Treatment With Alemtuzumab May Frequently Induce Thyroid Dysfunction
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally