Generic Name and Formulations:
Prasugrel 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Daiichi Sankyo and Lilly
Indications for EFFIENT:
To reduce risk of thrombotic cardiovascular events (including stent thrombosis) in patients with acute coronary syndrome who are to be managed with percutaneous coronary intervention (patients with unstable angina (UA) or non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI); patients with ST-elevation MI (STEMI) when managed with either primary or delayed PCI).
Loading dose: 60mg once. Maintenance: 10mg once daily. <60kg: consider 5mg once daily. Take with aspirin (75mg–325mg daily).
Active pathological bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage). Prior TIA or stroke. Do not start if patient likely to undergo urgent CABG.
≥75yrs: usually not recommended. Weight <60kg, or CABG or other surgery or trauma, recent or recurrent GI bleeding, severe hepatic dysfunction, moderate-to-severe renal impairment: increased risk of bleeding. Discontinue 7 days before surgery, and if TIA or stroke occurs. Premature discontinuation increases risk for cardiac events (eg, stent thrombosis, MI, death). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with heparin, warfarin, fibrinolytics, chronic NSAID use.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), hyper- or hypotension, hyperlipidemia, headache, back pain, GI upset, dizziness, cough, chest pain, atrial fibrillation, leukopenia; rare: thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia, anemia, abnormal hepatic function, allergic reactions, angioedema.
Tabs 5mg—7, 30; 10mg—30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity