Generic Name and Formulations:
Prasugrel 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Daiichi Sankyo and Lilly
Indications for EFFIENT:
To reduce risk of thrombotic cardiovascular events (including stent thrombosis) in patients with acute coronary syndrome who are to be managed with percutaneous coronary intervention (patients with unstable angina (UA) or non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI); patients with ST-elevation MI (STEMI) when managed with either primary or delayed PCI).
Loading dose: 60mg once. Maintenance: 10mg once daily. <60kg: consider 5mg once daily. Take with aspirin (75mg–325mg daily).
Active pathological bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage). Prior TIA or stroke. Do not start if patient likely to undergo urgent CABG.
Patients ≥75yrs: usually not recommended. Weight <60kg, or CABG or other surgery or trauma, recent or recurrent GI bleeding, severe hepatic dysfunction, moderate-to-severe renal impairment: increased risk of bleeding. Discontinue 7 days before surgery, and if TIA or stroke occurs. Premature discontinuation increases risk for cardiac events (eg, stent thrombosis, MI, death). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with heparin, warfarin, fibrinolytics, chronic NSAID use. Antagonized by opioid agonists (eg, morphine, others); consider using IV anti-platelet agent instead.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), hyper- or hypotension, hyperlipidemia, headache, back pain, GI upset, dizziness, cough, chest pain, atrial fibrillation, leukopenia; rare: thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia, anemia, abnormal hepatic function, hypersensitivity reactions, angioedema.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Triple-Goal Achievement Reduces Risk for Complications in Type 2 Diabetes
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- ADA Issues White Paper Addressing Escalating Cost of Insulin
- Neprilysin Inhibition May Reduce Renal Function Deterioration in Comorbid T2D and Chronic Heart Failure
- Serum Chemerin May Predict Risk for Spontaneous Abortion in Women With PCOS
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Effects of Gender on Clinical Outcomes in Empagliflozin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
- Effect of Acetyl-L-Carnitine on Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetes
- PAH Risk, Mortality Increased by Disturbances in Male Sex Hormones
- Perioperative Cardiovascular Events More Common in Diabetes
- Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes See Improvement With Continuous Glucose Monitoring