Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamterene 50mg, 100mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DYRENIUM:
Take after meals. Initially 100mg twice daily; max 300mg daily.
Concomitant K+ supplements, K+-sparing diuretics, salt substitutes. Hyperkalemia. Anuria. Renal impairment. Severe hepatic disease.
Diabetes. Severely ill. Acidosis predisposition. Electrolyte imbalance. History of renal stones. Gout. Hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, electrolytes, hepatic and renal function frequently. Discontinue if serum potassium >5.5mEq/L or renal values progress. ECG changes or arrhythmias require prompt treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, and K+ containing salt substitutes. Lithium toxicity. Hyperkalemia more likely with ACE inhibitors. Hyponatremia with sulfonylureas. Acute renal failure with NSAIDs. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Potentiates antihypertensives, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, anesthetics.
Diuretic (K+ sparing).
Rarely: anaphylaxis, rash, photosensitivity, hyper- or hypokalemia, azotemia, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis, jaundice, GI upset, electrolyte disturbances, blood dyscrasias, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, dry mouth.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Better Control With DPP-4 Inhibitors vs NPH Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes
- Achieving Glycemic Control in T2D After Basal Insulin Initiation
- Osteoporosis Drug Shows Cardioprotective Potential at 10-Year Follow-Up
- Effects of the Two Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Risk for Iodine Deficiency and Hypothyroidism High in Children on Parenteral Nutrition
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- Glycemic Control Variations for Children, Adolescents With T1D in High-Income Countries
- Late-Life Mobility Limitations Linked to Obesity After Arthroplasty for OA in Women
- Fracture Risk Should Be Monitored in Bisphosphonate Drug Holiday
- Provider Counseling for Weight Loss Up for Arthritis, Overweight