Generic Name and Formulations:
Doripenem (as monohydrate) 250mg/vial, 500mg/vial; pwd for IV infusion after constitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for DORIBAX:
Susceptible complicated intra-abdominal and complicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis).
Give by IV infusion over 1hr; may switch to oral antibiotics after 3 days. ≥18yrs (CrCl >50mL/min): Intra-abdominal: 500mg every 8hrs for 5–14 days. UTI, pyelonephritis: 500mg every 8hrs for 10–14 days. CrCl 30–50mL/min: 250mg every 8hrs; CrCl>10–<30mL/min: 250mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for treatment of ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia. Carbapenems, cephalosporins, penicillins or other allergy. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reactions occur and treat. Increased risk of seizures with history of CNS disorders (eg, stroke), renal dysfunction, or doses >500mg every 8hrs. Risk of pneumonitis with inhalational use; avoid this route. Renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Antagonizes valproic acid; if needed, monitor and consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, nausea, diarrhea (may be serious; evaluate if occurs), rash, phlebitis, anemia, elevated hepatic enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, seizures.
Single-use vials—1, 10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally