Generic Name and Formulations:
Propofol 10mg/mL; emulsion for IV inj or infusion; contains egg lecithin, soy.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for DIPRIVAN:
Induction and maintenance of monitored anesthesia care (MAC) sedation; combined sedation and regional anesthesia; and ICU sedation of intubated, mechanically ventilated adult patients. Induction of general anesthesia in patients ≥3yrs of age. Maintenance of general anesthesia in patients ≥2 months of age.
See full lableing. Individualize. Allow 3–5 mins between dose adjustments. General anesthesia induction (<55yrs): 40mg every 10 seconds until induction onset. Elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV, cardiac anesthesia, neurosurgery: 20mg every 10 seconds until induction onset. General anesthesia maintenance as infusion (<55yrs and neurosurgery): initially 100–200mcg/kg/min for 10–15 mins, reduce to 50–100mcg/kg/min. Elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV: 50–100mcg/kg/min. Cardiac anesthesia: As the primary agent: 100–150mcg/kg/min; with primary opioid: 50–100mcg/kg/min. General anesthesia maintenance as intermittent bolus (<55yrs): increments of 20–50mg as needed. Initiation of MAC sedation: give by slow infusion of 100–150mcg/kg/min for 3–5 mins or slow injection of 0.5mg/kg over 3–5 mins followed immediately by maintenance infusion. Maintenance of MAC sedation (<55yrs): infuse 25–75mcg/kg/min (preferred) or give incremental boluses of 10mg or 20mg; elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV, neurosurgical patients: reduce dose by 20%. ICU sedation: initially infuse 5 mcg/kg/min for at least 5 mins; increase in increments of 5–10mcg/kg/min over 5–10 mins until clinical effect is achieved. Maintenance: 5–50mcg/kg/min or higher; continue until 10–15 mins prior to extubation. May give 10mg or 20mg bolus to rapidly increase depth of sedation in patients not at risk of hypotension.
Individualize. General anesthesia induction (3–16yrs): 2.5–3.5mg/kg given over 20–30 seconds. General anesthesia maintenance (2 months–16yrs): 125–300mcg/kg/min, decrease infusion rate if signs of light anesthesia are not present following the first 30 mins.
Egg or soy product allergy.
Should be administered only by persons trained in the administration of general anesthesia. Keep resuscitative equipment, artificial ventilation and oxygen readily available; maintain patency of the airway at all times. Initiate drug holiday and supplement lost zinc if infused for >5 days (esp. patients with burns, diarrhea, major sepsis). Hyperlipoproteinemia. Diabetic hyperlipemia. Pancreatitis. Seizure disorder. Increased intracranial pressure. Impaired cerebral circulation. Cardiac depression. Hemodynamically unstable. Correct fluid deficits before administration. Monitor cardiorespiratory status, renal function, triglycerides, serum zinc. Avoid abrupt cessation. American Society of Anesthesiologists Physical Status (ASA-PS) III or IV, elderly debilitated: avoid rapid bolus administration. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiation with volatile inhalational anesthetics (eg, enflurane, isoflurane, halothane), parental narcotics (eg, morphine, meperidine, fentanyl) or combinations of opioids and sedatives (eg, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, choral hydrate, droperidol), other CNS depressants; reduce dose. Children: concomitant fentanyl may cause serious bradycardia.
Hypotension, bradycardia, inj site pain, apnea, propofol infusion syndrome with high-dose infusions (>5mg/kg/h for >48hrs); rare: anaphylaxis, phlebitis, thrombosis, perioperative myoclonia. Children: also movement, hypertension, rash, pruritis, tachycardia nodal, arrhythmia.
Ready-to use vial (20mL, 50mL, 100mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Prescription Delivery Service Nationwide
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes