DDAVP NASAL SPRAY Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Desmopressin acetate 10mcg/spray; nasal spray; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for DDAVP NASAL SPRAY:
Central (cranial) diabetes insipidus. Temporary polyuria and polydipsia following head trauma or surgery in the pituitary region.
10–40mcg daily intranasally in 1–3 divided doses; usually 20mcg in two divided doses. Use rhinal tube for doses <10mcg or doses other than multiples of 10mcg.
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: 5–30mcg daily intranasally in 1–2 divided doses. Use rhinal tube for doses <10mcg or doses other than multiples of 10mcg.
Moderate to severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Hyponatremia, or history of.
Monitor fluid intake, urine volume and osmolality. Fluid/electrolyte imbalance (eg, cystic fibrosis). Habitual or psychogenic polydipsia. Coronary artery insufficiency. Hypertension. Inj: Predisposition to thrombosis. Nasal mucosal changes (nasal forms). Young children. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other pressor agents, drugs that may increase the risk of water intoxication with hyponatremia (eg, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, chlorpromazine, opiates, NSAIDs, lamotrigine, carbamazepine). Possible convulsions with oxybutynin, imipramine.
Headache, nausea, flushing, abdominal cramps, vulval pain, water intoxication, hyponatremia, nasal congestion or rhinitis (nasal forms), inj site reaction; rare: changes in BP, severe allergic reactions, seizures in children from plasma hypoosmolality, thrombotic events (inj).
Tabs—100; Nasal spray—5mL (50 sprays); Rhinal tube—2.5mL (w. 2 rhinal tubes); Amp (1mL)—10; Multi-dose vial (10mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Triple-Goal Achievement Reduces Risk for Complications in Type 2 Diabetes
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- ADA Issues White Paper Addressing Escalating Cost of Insulin
- Neprilysin Inhibition May Reduce Renal Function Deterioration in Comorbid T2D and Chronic Heart Failure
- Serum Chemerin May Predict Risk for Spontaneous Abortion in Women With PCOS
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Effects of Gender on Clinical Outcomes in Empagliflozin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
- Effect of Acetyl-L-Carnitine on Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetes
- PAH Risk, Mortality Increased by Disturbances in Male Sex Hormones
- Perioperative Cardiovascular Events More Common in Diabetes
- Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes See Improvement With Continuous Glucose Monitoring