Generic Name and Formulations:
Balsalazide disodium (prodrug of mesalamine) 750mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for COLAZAL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into applesauce. 2.25g 3 times daily for 8 weeks; max 12 weeks.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into apple sauce. <5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 2.25g 3 times daily or 750mg 3 times daily; max 8 weeks.
Pyloric stenosis. Renal dysfunction. History of renal disease. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Headache, GI upset/pain, arthralgia, respiratory infection, insomnia, fatigue, anorexia, exacerbation of symptoms, pyrexia.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D