Generic Name and Formulations:
Balsalazide disodium (prodrug of mesalamine) 750mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for COLAZAL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into applesauce. 2.25g 3 times daily for 8 weeks; max 12 weeks.
May swallow whole or sprinkle capsule contents into apple sauce. <5yrs: not recommended. ≥5yrs: 2.25g 3 times daily or 750mg 3 times daily; max 8 weeks.
Pyloric stenosis. Renal dysfunction. History of renal disease. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Headache, GI upset/pain, arthralgia, respiratory infection, insomnia, fatigue, anorexia, exacerbation of symptoms, pyrexia.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally