Generic Name and Formulations:
Clevidipine butyrate emulsion 0.5mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; contains lipids 0.2g/mL (soybean oil, egg phospholipids).
Chiesi USA, Inc.
Indications for CLEVIPREX:
To reduce blood pressure when oral therapy is not feasible or desirable.
≥18yrs: Individualize; titrate. Give by IV infusion. Initially 1–2mg/hr; double dose at 90sec intervals until BP approaches goal, then titrate slower (adjust at 5–10min intervals). Dose increases of 1–2mg/hr results in systolic BP lowering of about 2–4mmHg. Maintenance: 4–6mg/hr; usual max 16–32mg/hr. Do not exceed 1000mL (21mg/hr for 24hrs) due to lipid load. Switch to oral therapy when indicated.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Egg or soy allergy. Defective lipid metabolism (eg, pathologic hyperlipemia, lipoid nephrosis, acute pancreatitis with hyperlipidemia). Severe aortic stenosis.
Maintain aseptic technique. Monitor BP and pulse during infusion and until stabilized. Heart failure (monitor). Monitor for rebound hypertension for at least 8hrs after stopping infusion (if not given other antihypertensives after prolonged infusion). Avoid abrupt cessation of any β-blocker treatment. Pheochromocytoma. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Headache, nausea, vomiting; hypotension, reflex tachycardia (slow infusion if occurs, do not use beta-blocker); rare: myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest, syncope, dyspnea.
Single-use vials—50mL, 100mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Emotional Hyper-Reactivity and Cardiometabolic Risk in Remitted Bipolar Disorder
- Reduced Mortality for Women Undergoing Assisted Reproduction Likely Due to "Healthy Patient Effect"
- Romosozumab Followed by Denosumab Effective for BMD Increase in Postmenopausal Women