Generic Name and Formulations:
Clindamycin (as HCl) 75mg+, 150mg+, 300mg; caps; +contains tartrazine.
Indications for CLEOCIN:
Serious susceptible infections where less toxic antibiotics are inappropriate, including respiratory, skin and soft tissue, septicemia, intraabdominal, female pelvic or genital; bone and joint (inj).
Take with full glass of water. Serious: 150–300mg every 6hrs. More severe: 300–450mg every 6hrs. Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections: treat for at least 10 days.
Take with full glass of water. Serious: 8–16mg/kg per day. More severe: 16–20mg/kg per day. Divide into 3–4 equal doses. Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections: treat for at least 10 days.
Not for treatment of meningitis. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Permanently discontinue if severe hypersensitivity reactions occur. Allergy. Asthma (75mg, 150mg caps). GI disease (esp. colitis). Atopy. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use and in children. IV: Gasping syndrome (neonates, infants). Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: consider alternative drug.
May potentiate neuromuscular blocking agents; caution. May be potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors; monitor. May be antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin); monitor. May antagonize erythromycin; avoid. Antiperistaltic agents may worsen colitis.
Pseudomembranous colitis, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dysguesia, rash, pruritus, angioedema, anaphylaxis, jaundice, renal dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, polyarthritis, severe skin reactions (eg, toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme, drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
Caps—100; Granules (100mL)—1; Inj (2mL, 4mL, 6mL vials)—25
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity