Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholestyramine resin (as Cl) 4g; per 9g packet or scoop.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cholestyramine:
Hypercholesterolemia alone or with hypertriglyceridemia resistant to dietary management. Reduction in risk of coronary heart disease. Pruritus due to partial biliary obstruction.
Initially 1 packet or scoop mixed with fluid or food 1–2 times daily. Maintenance: 2–4 packets or scoops divided into 2 doses; max 6 packets or scoops daily. Increase at 4 week intervals.
See full labeling.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. May need Vit. A, D, K, and folic acid supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (e.g., hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Favorable trend in cholesterol reduction usually occurs within 1 month; continue therapy to sustain reduction. Phenylketonuria (Light formulation). Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Inhibits absorption of phenylbutazone, warfarin, chlorothiazide, propranolol, tetracycline, penicillin G, phenobarbital, thyroid drugs, digitalis, many others; give other drugs 1–2 hours before or 4–6 hours after. Additive effects with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, nicotinic acid.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravation of hemorrhoids, GI disturbances, osteoporosis, Vit. A, D, K, or folic acid deficiencies, increased bleeding, hyperchloremic acidosis, rash, oral or anal irritation.
Formerly known under the brand name Questran.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States