Generic Name and Formulations:
Succimer 100mg; caps.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for CHEMET:
Lead poisoning in children with blood lead levels >45micrograms/dL.
May swallow caps whole or put contents onto a small amount of soft food or a spoon and swallow, followed by fruit drink. <12months: not recommended. ≥12months: initially 10mg/kg (or 350mg/m2) every 8 hours for 5 days, then reduce frequency to every 12 hours for 14 more days. Allow at least 14 days between courses unless blood lead levels indicate need for more prompt treatment. Treatment for more than 3 consecutive weeks: not recommended.
Monitor for rebound elevated lead levels by measuring blood levels at least once weekly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor renal and hepatic function. Monitor for neutropenia; instruct patients to report any sign of infection or rash. Renal impairment. History of hepatic dysfunction. Find and remove source of lead from environment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Other concomitant chelation therapy (e.g., EDTA): not recommended. False (+) results with nitroprusside test (e.g., Ketostix).
GI upset, elevated serum transaminases, rash, pain, cramps, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, drowsiness, paresthesia; neutropenia, mucocutaneous vesicular eruptions (rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D