CEFTIN ORAL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; pwd for reconstitution; contains phenylalanine; tutti-frutti flavor.
Indications for CEFTIN ORAL SUSPENSION:
Susceptible infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, otitis media, impetigo, acute maxillary sinusitis.
Give with food. <3 months: not recommended. 3 months–12yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 20mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses for 10 days; max 500mg/day. Otitis media, impetigo, sinusitis: 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses for 10 days; max 1g/day.
Tabs and susp not bioequivalent; do not interchange on a mg/mg basis. Penicillin or other allergy. History of colitis; discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Renal impairment. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, stabilized on anticoagulant, poor nutritional state, or long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: consider discontinuing nursing during treatment.
May cause false (+) Fehling's or Benedict's soln, Clinitest, or Coomb's test. Antacids, others that decrease gastric acidity may inhibit absorption. Potentiated by probenecid. Caution with potent diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs.
GI disturbances, transient increase of AST, ALT, LDH, eosinophilia, bitter taste; convulsions (overdose).
Tabs—20, 60; Susp 125mg/5mL—100mL; Susp 250mg/5mL—50mL, 100mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D