Generic Name and Formulations:
Clonidine HCl 0.1mg, 0.2mg, 0.3mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for CATAPRES:
Initially 0.1mg twice daily. Usual range 0.2–0.6mg daily in divided doses; max 2.4mg/day.
Sinus node dysfunction. AV block. Pheochromocytoma: not effective. Conduction disturbances. Renal dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. If local reaction occurs from patch, using tabs may cause generalized rash. Discontinue 4hrs before surgery; resume as soon as possible after surgery. Patch: remove before defibrillation, cardioversion, or MRI. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Potentiates CNS depressants. Orthostatic regulation disturbances (eg, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, fatigue) possible with neuroleptics. Monitor heart rate in patients receiving agents known to affect sinus node function or AV nodal conduction (eg, digitalis, calcium channel blockers, β-blockers).
Central alpha agonist.
Dry mouth, dry eye, drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, constipation, sedation, rash, myalgia, urticaria, nausea, insomnia, agitation, orthostatic hypotension, impotence, arrhythmias.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States