Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1g; supps.
Indications for CANASA:
Mild-to-moderately active ulcerative proctitis.
Retain supp in rectum for at least 1–3hrs. 1g once daily at bedtime. Treat for 3–6 weeks.
Sulfasalazine or aspirin allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment. Evaluate renal function before starting and periodically during therapy. Monitor for acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. May stain clothes. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs) may increase risk of renal effects; monitor. Concomitant azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine may increase risk of blood disorders; if unavoidable, monitor CBCs and platelets. May interfere with measurements by liquid chromatography of urinary normetanephrine; consider other alternative assay.
Dizziness, rectal pain, fever, rash, acne, colitis, headache, flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea; mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities), renal or hepatic failure.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D