Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 6mg/mL; soln for IV administration after dilution.
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for BUSULFEX:
In combination with cyclophosphamide, as a conditioning regimen prior to allogeneic hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation for chronic myelogenous leukemia.
See full labeling. Premedicate with anticonvulsants and antiemetics. Give by IV infusion over 2 hours. 0.8mg/kg of ideal body weight or actual body weight, whichever is lower, every 6 hours for 4 days for total of 16 doses (on Days -7, -6, -5, and -4). Give cyclophosphamide after the 16th dose of busulfan (Days -3 and -2). Give hematopoietic progenitor cells on Day 0. Obese: base dose on adjusted ideal body weight.
See full labeling.
Risk of severe and prolonged myelosuppression; requires hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation. Seizure disorder. Head trauma. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor CBCs with differential, platelet counts, liver enzymes, bilirubin during treatment and until recovery. Monitor for infection and bleeding. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy. Use effective contraception during and after treatment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by itraconazole and acetaminophen. May be antagonized by phenytoin. Caution with potentially epileptogenic drugs.
Myelosuppression, nausea, stomatitis, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, insomnia, fever, hypomagnesemia, abdominal pain, anxiety, headache, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia; seizures (with higher doses), hepatic veno-occlusive disease (with high AUC), cardiac tamponade (in pediatric patients with thalassemia), cellular dysplasia; rare: bronchopulmonary dysplasia with pulmonary fibrosis.
Single-use vials (10mL)—8
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity