Generic Name and Formulations:
Buspirone HCl 5mg, 10mg, 15mg+, 30mg+; scored (+bi/trisected) tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Buspirone:
Take consistently with regard to food. Initially 7.5mg twice daily, may increase by 5mg/day every 2–3 days. Usual range: 20–30mg/day; max 60mg/day.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–17yrs: doses of 7.5–30mg twice daily have been used.
Severe renal or hepatic impairment: not recommended. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs: see Contraindications. Avoid alcohol, large amounts of grapefruit juice. Caution with other CNS drugs. May potentiate haloperidol, diazepam, nefazodone. Potentiated by nefazodone, verapamil, diltiazem, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, ritonavir, other CYP3A4 inhibitors (use lower initial dose). Antagonized by rifampin, dexamethasone, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, other CYP3A4 inducers.
Dizziness, GI upset, headache, nervousness, CNS or emotional effects, nonspecific chest pain, tinnitus, dream disturbances.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States