Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and reduced diphtheria toxoid, acellular pertussis vaccine (aluminum hydroxide adsorbed); susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Indications for BOOSTRIX:
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis booster immunization in patients ≥10 years of age.
Adults and Children:
<10yrs: not recommended. ≥10yrs (≥5yrs after last childhood DTwP or DTaP or adult Td vaccine): 0.5mL IM once into deltoid muscle.
Encephalopathy within 7 days after previous DTaP or DTwP vaccination.
Guillain-Barre syndrome (within 6 weeks) after previous tetanus toxoid vaccine: see literature. Progressive or unstable neurologic disorders (eg, cerebrovascular events, acute encephalopathic conditions). Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine available. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see literature. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, pain), fever, headache, fatigue, GI upset.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Boostrix by calling (888) 452-9622. Report adverse events to VAERS by calling (800) 822-7967.
Vials (single dose)—10; Prefilled syringes (without needles)—1, 5, 10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D