Body Mass Index
Results comparing the prevalence of obesity amongst adolescents with the rate of bariatric surgeries were presented at ENDO 2018.
In people with obesity and type 2 diabetes, a meal schedule that includes a high-energy breakfast promotes weight loss, improves diabetes, and decreases the need for insulin.
Results provide critical perspective on cardiovascular disease associated with overweight and obesity and challenge both the obesity paradox as well as the view that overweight is associated with greater longevity.
A recent study examined the extent to which rising BMI accounts for reductions in the rate of mortality using data from cohorts of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and linked mortality files.
High body fat levels are associated with elevated risk of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women with normal body mass index.
The school-based healthy lifestyle program intervention encouraged healthy eating and physical activity and included a daily physical activity opportunities and termly cooking skills workshops.
Abdominal obesity and low inflammation levels independent of body mass index are inversely associated with fitness.
Study uses data from the Framingham Offspring Cohort to investigate possible relationships between knee osteoarthritis and components of the metabolic syndrome.
Addition of Bariatric Surgery to Intensive Medical Therapy More Effective at Resolving T2D HyperglycemiaFebruary 23, 2017
Bariatric surgery improved outcomes in weight, triglycerides, HDL cholesterol, and quality of life compared with intensive medical therapy alone.
Weight loss during menopause is associated with a lower risk of endometrial cancer.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk