Body Mass Index
Results suggest that circadian preference and meal timing are novel and possibly modifiable risk factors for obesity in type 2 diabetes.
Compared to men who were never overweight, those overweight at age 7 who returned to a normal body mass index by age 13 had no increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
Current care should encourage women to plan to breastfeed, provide corrective information for specific beliefs, and address issues relating to body image and social knowledge.
Metabolites could be mediators in the connection between gut microbiota and obesity and points to potential future opportunities for targeting the gut microbiota in the prevention of obesity.
For men with metastatic melanoma treated with targeted or immune therapy, obesity is associated with improved survival.
For patients with chronic hepatitis B virus, body mass index is significantly associated with increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma, with the risk more pronounced for women than men.
Following the success of this preliminary safety and feasibility study, more patients are being recruited for a larger clinical trial of the procedure to test the efficacy and durability of the procedure.
Researchers evaluated the association between low maternal vitamin D status in early pregnancy and the likelihood of childhood obesity in the offspring.
Results comparing the prevalence of obesity amongst adolescents with the rate of bariatric surgeries were presented at ENDO 2018.
In people with obesity and type 2 diabetes, a meal schedule that includes a high-energy breakfast promotes weight loss, improves diabetes, and decreases the need for insulin.
Results provide critical perspective on cardiovascular disease associated with overweight and obesity and challenge both the obesity paradox as well as the view that overweight is associated with greater longevity.
A recent study examined the extent to which rising BMI accounts for reductions in the rate of mortality using data from cohorts of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and linked mortality files.
High body fat levels are associated with elevated risk of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women with normal body mass index.
The school-based healthy lifestyle program intervention encouraged healthy eating and physical activity and included a daily physical activity opportunities and termly cooking skills workshops.
Abdominal obesity and low inflammation levels independent of body mass index are inversely associated with fitness.
Study uses data from the Framingham Offspring Cohort to investigate possible relationships between knee osteoarthritis and components of the metabolic syndrome.
Addition of Bariatric Surgery to Intensive Medical Therapy More Effective at Resolving T2D HyperglycemiaFebruary 23, 2017
Bariatric surgery improved outcomes in weight, triglycerides, HDL cholesterol, and quality of life compared with intensive medical therapy alone.
Weight loss during menopause is associated with a lower risk of endometrial cancer.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Assessment of Low-Dose Aspirin As Chemoprevention in Type 2 Diabetes
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- New Romosozumab BLA Includes Data from Additional Osteoporosis Trials
- Impact of Maternal Diabetes on Outcomes in Very Preterm, Very Low-Birth-Weight Infants
- Age-Related Differences in Manifestation of Cushing Disease Identified
- International Group Develops Best Practices for Drug Packaging