Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as hemihydrate) 0.25%, 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for BETIMOL:
1 drop twice daily.
Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Asthma. Severe COPD.
Discontinue if heart failure develops and prior to surgery. Not for use as sole agent in narrow-angle glaucoma. Avoid abrupt cessation. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Diabetes. COPD. Bronchospastic disease. May mask signs of hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Bacterial keratitis. Measure IOP after 4 wks of treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digitalis. May antagonize β-agonists. May block epinephrine.
Ocular irritation, eyelid erythema, conjunctival injection, headache, epiphora, photophobia. Systemic β-blocking effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure).
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Triple-Goal Achievement Reduces Risk for Complications in Type 2 Diabetes
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- ADA Issues White Paper Addressing Escalating Cost of Insulin
- Neprilysin Inhibition May Reduce Renal Function Deterioration in Comorbid T2D and Chronic Heart Failure
- Serum Chemerin May Predict Risk for Spontaneous Abortion in Women With PCOS
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Effects of Gender on Clinical Outcomes in Empagliflozin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents, Young Adults With ADHD
- Ideal Systolic Blood Pressure for CVD Prevention in Diabetes, Hypertension
- Smoking Associated With Lower Serum Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone Levels
- Inverse Link for Plasma 25(OH)D Concentration, Risk of T2D