BENTYL INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dicyclomine HCl 10mg/mL; soln for IM inj.
Indications for BENTYL INJECTION:
Irritable bowel syndrome.
Give by IM route only. 10–20mg four times daily for max 1–2 days when oral therapy is not feasible.
<6months: see Contraindications. ≥6months: consult manufacturer.
Glaucoma. Unstable cardiovascular status. GI or urinary tract obstruction. Severe ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Reflux esophagitis. Children <6months of age. Nursing mothers.
Inj: avoid IV administration (may cause thrombosis, inj site reactions). Autonomic neuropathy. Hepatic or renal impairment. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Salmonella dysentery. Toxic megacolon. Ulcerative colitis. GI or GU obstruction. High environmental temperature. Diarrhea. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Antacids may inhibit absorption; avoid. May antagonize anti-glaucoma agents or drugs that alter GI motility (eg, metoclopramide). Antagonized by agents used to treat achlorhydria and those used to test gastric secretion. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics, narcotic analgesics, type I antiarrhythmics, antihistamines, antipsychotics, tricyclics, amantadine, benzodiazepines, MAOIs, nitrites, nitrates, sympathomimetics. May affect absorption of sust rel dosage forms.
Dizziness, dry mouth, blurred vision, nausea, somnolence, asthenia, and nervousness; cardiovascular and CNS symptoms (eg, psychosis, delirium). Fatal reactions have occurred in infants.
Caps, tabs—100; Syrup—contact supplier; Amps (2mL)—5
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Admelog Short-Acting Insulin Lispro Injection
- Fertility Hormone Therapy and Cardiovascular Outcomes: What We Know
- Effects of Peer Influence in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes
- More Evidence That Saxagliptin Does Not Increase Risk for AMI in Diabetes
- One-Hour Glucose Readings Predict T2D Risk Better Than 2-Hour Measurements
- FDA: Vitamin B7 May Interfere With Lab Tests for Hormone Levels
- Injected and Oral Medications Equally Safe for Gestational Diabetes
- Adjunctive Dapagliflozin Improves Glycemic Control in T1D
- Estradiol Therapy May Benefit Overall Cognition in Postmenopausal Women
- Stopping Postmenopausal HT May Increase Risk for Cardiac, Stroke Death
- Psychosocial Benefits of a Bihormonal Bionic Pancreas System in T1D
- Safety of Chronic Total Occlusion Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Diabetes
- Oral Insulin Not a Reliable Preventive Strategy for Type 1 Diabetes
- Prevention of Bone Mineral Density Loss Needed in Epilepsy
- Gastric Bypass Blunts B-Cell Sensitivity During Glycemia