Generic Name and Formulations:
Olmesartan medoxomil 5mg, 20mg, 40mg; tabs.
Indications for BENICAR:
Individualize. ≥16yrs: Monotherapy, not volume-depleted: initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Volume-depleted (eg, concomitant diuretic): consider lower initial dose.
Individualize. <1yr: do not give. <6yrs: not recommended. 6–16yrs: (20kg to <35kg): initially 10mg once daily; may increase to max 20mg once daily after 2 weeks; (≥35kg): initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Tabs may be prepared as an oral suspension if unable to swallow: see full labeling.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Drugs that act on the renin-angiotensin system can cause injury and death to the developing fetus.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before initiating therapy, or monitor closely. Renal impairment: monitor for worsening renal function. Severe CHF. Renal artery stenosis. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Possibly less effective in black patients. Elderly. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
See Contraindications. May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors; monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). Take at least 4hrs before colesevelam HCl dose. May increase lithium levels; monitor.
Dizziness, possible sprue-like enteropathy, renal dysfunction, hyperkalemia, rhabdomyolysis (rare).
Tabs 5mg—30; 20mg, 40mg—30, 90
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Heritability of BMI Stronger in Obesogenic Environments
- Adverse Events Associated With Diazoxide Treatment for Congenital Hyperinsulinism
- Maternal Gluten Intake Associated With Risk for Type 1 Diabetes in Offspring
- Patterns of Evidence-Based Diabetes Interventions at Local Health Departments
- Bone-Derived Factors in the Treatment of Diabetes
- Vitamin D Supplementation Has No Effect on Musculoskeletal Health
- Deep Learning Algorithm Efficiently Detects Vision-Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy
- Industry-Funded Trials Often Involve Employees in Studies
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Early-Onset Asthma/Wheezing Associated With Later Childhood Obesity