Generic Name and Formulations:
Olmesartan medoxomil 5mg, 20mg, 40mg; tabs.
Indications for BENICAR:
Individualize. ≥16yrs: Monotherapy, not volume-depleted: initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Volume-depleted (eg, concomitant diuretic): consider lower initial dose.
Individualize. <1yr: do not give. <6yrs: not recommended. 6–16yrs: (20kg to <35kg): initially 10mg once daily; may increase to max 20mg once daily after 2 weeks; (≥35kg): initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Tabs may be prepared as an oral suspension if unable to swallow: see full labeling.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before initiating therapy, or monitor closely. Renal impairment: monitor for worsening renal function. Severe CHF. Renal artery stenosis. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Possibly less effective in black patients. Elderly. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors; monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). Take at least 4hrs before colesevelam HCl dose. May increase lithium levels; monitor.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
Dizziness, possible sprue-like enteropathy, renal dysfunction, hyperkalemia, rhabdomyolysis (rare).
Tabs 5mg—30; 20mg, 40mg—30, 90
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation