Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftazidime 2g, avibactam 0.5g; per vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 6.4mEq/vial.
Indications for AVYCAZ:
Susceptible infections including complicated intra-abdominal infections (cIAI), in combination with metronidazole, complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI), including pyelonephritis, and hospital-acquired or ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (HABP/VABP).
Give by IV infusion over 2hrs. ≥18yrs: 2.5g every 8hrs. cIAI (in combination with metronidazole): treat for 5–14 days. cUTI, HABP/VABP: treat for 7–14 days. Renal impairment (CrCl 31–50mL/min): 1.25g every 8hrs; (CrCl 16–30mL/min): 0.94g every 12hrs; (CrCl 6–15mL/min): 0.94g every 24hrs; (CrCl ≤5mL/min): 0.94g every 48hrs; give after hemodialysis on hemodialysis days.
<18yrs: not established.
Penicillin or other beta-lactam allergy. Discontinue if allergic reaction occurs. Evaluate and manage fluid, electrolyte levels, supplement protein intake if C.diff-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Renal impairment; monitor CrCl at least daily and adjust dose as necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant probenecid: not recommended. False (+) urine glucose test possible.
Cephalosporin + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; C.diff-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, CNS reactions (eg, seizure, encephalopathy, coma).
Single-use vial—1, 10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Better Control With DPP-4 Inhibitors vs NPH Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes
- Achieving Glycemic Control in T2D After Basal Insulin Initiation
- Osteoporosis Drug Shows Cardioprotective Potential at 10-Year Follow-Up
- Effects of the Two Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Risk for Iodine Deficiency and Hypothyroidism High in Children on Parenteral Nutrition
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- Glycemic Control Variations for Children, Adolescents With T1D in High-Income Countries
- Late-Life Mobility Limitations Linked to Obesity After Arthroplasty for OA in Women
- Fracture Risk Should Be Monitored in Bisphosphonate Drug Holiday
- Provider Counseling for Weight Loss Up for Arthritis, Overweight