Generic Name and Formulations:
Dutasteride 0.5mg; caps.
Indications for AVODART:
BPH, as monotherapy to improve symptoms and reduce risks of acute urinary retention and need for prostate surgery; or in combination with tamsulosin. Limitation of use: not approved for preventing prostate cancer.
Swallow whole. Monotherapy: 0.5mg once daily. Combination therapy: 0.5mg once daily with tamsulosin 0.4mg once daily.
Not for use in children or women. Pregnant women and those of childbearing potential should avoid handling caps.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA) values (establish new baseline PSA after at least 3months of treatment); double PSA levels to compare with normal values. Rule out prostate cancer and other urological disorders prior to treatment. Hepatic dysfunction. Avoid donating blood until at least 6months after last dose.
Type I and II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
May be potentiated by CYP3A4/5 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole, verapamil, diltiazem, cimetidine, troleandomycin, ciprofloxacin); caution.
Impotence, decreased libido, ejaculation disorder, gynecomastia, dizziness (with tamsulosin).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally