While these may serve as predictors, bone mineral density may not.
ASBMR 2015 Complete Coverage
Denosumab increases BMD more than zoledronic acid in women who were treated with bisphosphonates.
Many express a preference for weekly or monthly oral bisphosphonate regimens.
Oral bisphosphonates appear to lower the risk for subsequent fracture and mortality after fracture.
Patients with type 2 diabetes may be at higher risk for fracture than indicated by FRAX score.
Many older people unconcerned about or unaware of osteoporosis.
Asian women taking bisphosphonates may have a higher risk for atypical femur fracture than white women.
Treatment improved bone balance and reduced bone turnover.
The sclerostin inhibitor may increase bone strength at the spine and hip in postmenopausal women.
Treatment over 5 years appears to be safe and effective.
Variables included gender and age.
Selective oral cathepsin K inhibitor odanacatib improved bone density in older women with osteoporosis.
PTH (1-84) for 7 years is linked to reduced calcium and calcitriol supplementation.
Denosumab treatment for up to 10 years is linked to persistent reduction in bone turnover and increased BMD.
Higher doses of vitamin D may actually do more harm than good in elderly women.
Three or more cups per day may lower risk for fracture.
Fracture risk may be lower with bisphosphonates in women with diabetes.
Fracture risk may be significantly lower in postmenopausal women with abaloparatide vs. teriparatide or placebo.
Sign Up for Free e-Newsletters
Check out what's trending
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ADA Releases Updated Guidelines for Managing Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- Intermittent vs Continuous Energy-Restricted Diet: Effects on Glycemic Control and Weight Loss T2D
- The Obesity Paradox in Diabetes: Conceptual and Clinical Approaches
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Self-Administered Contraceptive Vaginal System Approved for Up to 1 Year of Use
- Predictors of Weight Loss in Postpartum Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Genetic Screening May Predict Osteoporosis, Fracture Risk
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence