Generic Name and Formulations:
Donepezil HCl 5mg, 10mg, 23mg; tabs.
Indications for ARICEPT:
Tabs: Swallow whole with water. ODT: dissolve on tongue, follow with water. Mild-to-moderate: Initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to max 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; usual dose: 5mg or 10mg once daily. Moderate-to-severe: initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; may further increase to max 23mg daily after 3 months; usual dose: 10mg or 23mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction conditions. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. GU obstruction. Body weight <55kg. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Drugs that affect CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 may affect rate of elimination. Antagonizes anticholinergics. May potentiate succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants, other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanecol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (piperidine deriv).
Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, insomnia, muscle cramps, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss (esp. using 23mg/day dose).
Tabs 5mg, 10mg—30, 90, 1000; 23mg—30, 90; ODT—30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- AUA: New Guidelines for Diagnosis, Management of Testosterone Deficiency
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin May Improve Renal Outcomes in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- ADA Updates Guidelines for Cardiovascular Risk Management in Diabetes
- Diabetes Treatments
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Accuracy of Novel Implantable Continuous Glucose Monitoring Device Assessed
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes
- USPSTF Issues Recommendation for Vitamin D, Calcium Supplementation for Fracture Prevention
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Oxyntomodulin Augments Glucose Homeostasis