Generic Name and Formulations:
Argatroban 100mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution.
Indications for ARGATROBAN:
Prophylaxis and treatment of thrombosis in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) or in those with or at risk of HIT undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).
HIT: discontinue heparin and obtain baseline aPTT. Initially 2 mcg/kg/min by continuous IV infusion; check aPTT 2hrs after starting; titrate to 1.5–3x baseline aPTT (max 100seconds); max 10 mcg/kg/min. PCI: initially 25 mcg/kg/min by IV infusion, and 350mcg/kg bolus by large bore IV line over 3–5mins; titrate based on activated clotting time (ACT) to therapeutic ACT of 300–450seconds. For both: hepatic impairment: reduce dose (see full labeling). Conversion to oral anticoagulants: see full labeling.
Increased bleeding risk (eg, severe hypertension, recent lumbar puncture, spinal anesthesia, major surgery, bleeding disorders, GI lesions). Hepatic impairment. PCI: avoid high doses in significant hepatic disease or AST/ALT ≥3x ULN. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with thrombolytics, warfarin, heparin, antiplatelets, GP IIb/IIIa blockers.
Bleeding, dyspnea, hypotension, fever, diarrhea, sepsis, cardiac arrest, chest pain, back pain, nausea, vomiting, headache.
Single-use vial (2.5mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States