Generic Name and Formulations:
Bivalirudin 250mg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ANGIOMAX:
Anticoagulation with concomitant aspirin in: unstable angina undergoing percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA); patients with, or at risk of, heparin–induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and thrombosis syndrome (HITTS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and in patients undergoing PCI with provisional use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GPI).
Give with aspirin 300–325mg daily: initiate 0.75mg/kg IV bolus (may give additional bolus of 0.3mg/kg after 5mins, if needed in those without HIT/HITTS), followed by 1.75mg/kg/hr for duration of procedure. May continue infusion up to 4hrs post-procedure; after 4hrs, may give additional infusion of 0.2mg/kg/hr up to 20hrs, if needed. Renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: reduce infusion rate to 1mg/kg/hr; hemodialysis: 0.25mg/kg/hr.
Active major bleeding.
Consider stopping if symptoms of bleeding occur. Increased risk of thrombus formation with brachytherapy. Diseases associated with an increased bleeding risk. Monitor for acute stent thrombosis and signs/symptoms of MI in STEMI patients following PCI. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with warfarin, heparin, thrombolytics. Interferes with INR measurements.
Bleeding, back pain, pain, headache, GI upset, hypo- or hypertension, inj site pain, urinary retention.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D