Generic Name and Formulations:
Aminolevulinic acid HCl 10%; gel; contains isopropyl alcohol.
Indications for AMELUZ:
In combination with photodynamic therapy (PDT) using BF-RhodoLED lamp (red light illumination source), for the treatment of mild-to-moderate actinic keratoses on the face and scalp.
Clean and prepare all lesions prior to application. Apply gel approx. 1mm thick and include approx. 5mm of the surrounding skin. Use sufficient amount of gel to cover lesion(s) and entire area. Max application area of 20cm2 and max 2g (1 tube) use at one time. Cover treated area with occlusive dressing for 3 hours, then remove dressing and any remaining gel; immediately following illumination with red light: see full labeling. Treated lesions not completely resolved after 12 weeks may be retreated.
<18yrs: not established.
Porphyrin hypersensitivity. Porphyria. Photodermatoses.
Administered by healthcare provider only. In combination with PDT may cause transient amnestic episodes. Not for ophthalmic, oral, or intravaginal use. Avoid sunlight, prolonged, or intense light (eg, tanning beds, sunlamps) on lesions and surrounding skin for 2 days after treatment. Avoid applying to eyes, mucous membranes. Inherited or acquired coagulation disorders. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May increase risk of phototoxic reaction to PDT with concomitant other photosensitizing agents (eg, St. John's wort, griseofulvin, thiazides, sulfonylureas, phenothiazines, sulfonamides, quinolones, tetracyclines).
Application site erythema, pain/burning, irritation, edema, pruritus, exfoliation, scab, induration, vesicles, paresthesia, hyperalgesia; ophthalmic reactions, increased photosensitivity.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally