AMBIEN CR CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolpidem tartrate 6.25mg, 12.5mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AMBIEN CR:
Swallow whole. Use lowest effective dose. Initially 6.25mg (in women), and 6.25mg or 12.5mg (in men) at bedtime (take only if able to get 7–8hrs of sleep before becoming active again). Both: if 6.25mg dose ineffective, may increase to max 12.5mg. Elderly, debilitated, or mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment: 6.25mg once daily at bedtime. Effect delayed if taken with a meal.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Increased risk of next-day psychomotor impairment. Depression. Abnormal thinking and behavioral changes. Compromised respiratory function. Sleep apnea. Myasthenia gravis. Avoid in severe hepatic impairment; may contribute to encephalopathy. Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses before initiation. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Withdraw gradually. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other sedative-hypnotics including other zolpidem products: not recommended. Increased risk of CNS depression, drowsiness, psychomotor impairment with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclics). May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole), sertraline; use lower zolpidem dose. Decreased alertness with imipramine, chlorpromazine. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, St. John's wort); avoid concomitant use.
CNS effects, complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), headache, next-day somnolence, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, dry mouth; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
CR tabs 6.25mg—100; 12.5mg—100, 500; tabs 5mg—100; 10mg—100, 500
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Prescription Delivery Service Nationwide
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes