Albuterol Inhalation Soln Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol (as sulfate) 0.63mg/3mL (0.021%), 1.25mg/3mL (0.042%); preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Albuterol Inhalation Soln:
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: 1 vial by nebulizer 3–4 times daily over 5–15 mins.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Consider higher dose albuterol product in acute attack. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Other short-acting sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Tremor, nervousness, headache, dizziness, hyperactivity, insomnia, weakness, tachycardia, epistaxis, hypokalemia, local irritation (inh), paradoxical bronchospasm, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name AccuNeb.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Better Control With DPP-4 Inhibitors vs NPH Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes
- Achieving Glycemic Control in T2D After Basal Insulin Initiation
- Osteoporosis Drug Shows Cardioprotective Potential at 10-Year Follow-Up
- Effects of the Two Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Risk for Iodine Deficiency and Hypothyroidism High in Children on Parenteral Nutrition
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- Glycemic Control Variations for Children, Adolescents With T1D in High-Income Countries
- Late-Life Mobility Limitations Linked to Obesity After Arthroplasty for OA in Women
- Fracture Risk Should Be Monitored in Bisphosphonate Drug Holiday
- Provider Counseling for Weight Loss Up for Arthritis, Overweight